MITO 101: A Primer for Physicians and Patients is a compilation of information intended to familiarize general practitioners and families alike with the most common problems raised by mitochondrial diseases.
Note: MITO 101 is merely to be used as a tool. It is not meant to be a substitute for professional advice and services rendered by qualified doctors, allied medical personnel, and other professional services. The responsibility for any use of this information, or for proper medical treatment, rests with you and your physician.
- Mitochondrial Disease: A Practical Approach for Primary Care Physicians– Richard Haas, Sumit Parikh, Marni J. Falk, Russell Saneto, Nicole Wolfe, Niklas Darin, Bruce H. Cohen. (Reprinted with permission from the Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Pediatrics 2007; 120;1326-1333,DOI:10.1542/peds.2007-0391
- Dysautonomia – Salvatore DiMauro, MD and Bruce H. Cohen, MD
- Munchausen by Proxy -Also known as Medical Child Abuse. The following information was extracted from a 2011 symposium talk by Sumit Parikh, MD and other experts. Additional comments were provided by Drs. Russell Saneto and Mark Tarnopolsky
- Evidence Based Medicine in Mitochondrial Treatment– Bruce Cohen, MD, Cleveland Clinic
- Exercise and Prevention – Mark A. Tarnopolsky, MD, PhD, FRCP, Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine, Neuromuscular and Neurometabolic Disease Clinic, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Supplements and Nutrition – Mark A. Tarnopolsky, MD, PhD, FRCP, Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine, Neuromuscular and Neurometabolic Disease Clinic, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- HBOT – Article written for the UMDF Newsletter, Volume 12, Issue 1
- Scientific and Pseudoscientific Therapies– Article written for the UMDF Newsletter, Volume 12, Issue 2. Steven G. Bassett, PhD, Associate Professor of Biology, Seton Hill University, Greensburg, PA., and Jean C. Bassett, RN, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Therapy– Tracey J. Millhouse Flourie
- Modern Approach to the Treatment of Mitochondrial Disease – Sumit Parikh, MD, Russell Saneto, DO, PhD, Marni J. Falk, MD, Irina Anselm, MD, Bruce H. Cohen, MD, Richard Haas, MB, BChir, MRCP, The Mitochondrial Medicine Society.
Unless otherwise noted, the above articles were written for the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation.
For reprint permission, contact the Communications Department at the UMDF at 888.317.8633.